February 03, 2019

VOLUME 03 | ISSUE 19 
Beginning Again

It's the middle of January. It's cold and wet and miserable outside - typical Welsh weather. As I sit inside working on this blog, I pause to gaze across our rainy back garden and think; come on sunshine! I'm ready to ride.
A new day for a new year...
Hello 2019!
Many people don't care for January. The days are shorter and it seems dark all the time; generally a downer after the excitement of the holiday season. In addition to the seasonal drama, I've been battling the flu for the past three weeks, so I'm just fed up with all this nonsense. Come on sunshine.

Looking back over the long hot summer of 2018; I couldn't have asked for better weather. Record heat along with below average rainfall made for spectacular cycling here in Wales. Additionally, the fall turned out to be warm and dry and full of colour.

I'm starting this year's first issue with a quick look back at four little rides that should have been in my Novemeber issue of 2018. If you noticed; I didn't write a November issue, so here we have it!

I've taken a harsh critique in my Year in Review section and come away with some positive ideas for 2019. Hopefully, I will use these lessons to model my future adventures for that perfect ride again.

I hope you enjoy this new issue and as always - thanks for stopping by.

Seeya down the road. Cheers! - cm

Features
MY RIDES - During 2018 this became my "got-to" route for cycling 100 miles. I enjoyed it so much that I cycled it 10 times during the year. However, my last ride from late October was truely special.
► Read more....

MY RIDES - Here's another ride that fell into my endless 'favorite route' category. Again, I was lucky to have cycled this on such a gorgeous day. ► Read more....

MY RIDES - Sometimes ya just gotta go with the flow. Check out this report from when I ran into a a group of fellas who invited me to join them on a lovely, lazy Sunday morning ride. ► Read more....

MY RIDES - Sometimes a day out on your bike can be full of surprises. We didn't really know where were going, but much to our delite, this short, but sweet ride turned into a classic. ► Read more....

Special Feature
2018 Year in Review
A look back at the achievements, the missed goals, and my thoughts on a spectacular year of cycling in Wales.
What I did. A bunch of numbers on a page without any stories or photographs, which ironically represents the core focus of my riding last year.
Ride of the Year: Ogmore-by-the-Sea Odyssey
If there is a perfect ride; this is it. I set off early. I took my time. I explored new areas. I shot loads of photos and I had a great time. What more could anyone ask? Originally posted to Ride with GPS, check out my ride of the year; Ogmore-by-the-Sea Odyssey. Plus I've now added a seperate gallery just for Ogmore Castle. I want more of this for 2019.
What I think about it. Bigger numbers on a different page followed by reflection and well deserved self-recrimination. Essentially, a cold slap in the face.
What I want to do. By focusing on what I find to be the most important aspects of cycling and using that to kick start 2019. I was naive in my thinking last year. We'll see if I've learned.

On the Web
YouTube: He's been in two issues in row now, but Alex continues to surprise me with his adventures. This story is amazing. The video is captivating. This is precisely why he's one of a kind and why I admire him. Sit back and enjoy.
WEBSITE: Big Fat Dummy Fenders - Not only a great photographer and writer, Mike shows us that he's also a talented wood worker. See his latest creation of an already awesome fat bike into a beach classic.

Out From the Archive
MY RIDES / 2017: At one time I had a section in my blog designated just for events. Now that I've stopped organising group rides that section is no longer relevant. However, I thought it worthwhile to re-post this group ride because it was a great one. Cheers gang!
GALLERY / 2017: I made a couple of trips to Barry Island last year. It's quite a unique ride heading out through Cardiff and Penarth. For some unknown reason I didn't write a report for the ride, but I did get a few photos worth noting, so I built a little gallery. I hope you enjoy.

Sexy Bike Alert!
GEAR: There is absolutely no need for this article. I wrote it just because I wanted to. I look at new bikes online all the time. I watch how they are evolving and I often ask myself; "what would I buy today?" These 24 bikes are where I'd start. Take a look and tell me what you think.