Most of this year's summer was marred by unusually cold and rainy weather. Surprisingly however, September came through with marvelous sunny skies and uncharacteristically warm temperatures. Wales actually had an "Indian summer"!
I have been trying to develop rides for my Routes to Ride section this year, but the weather has made my attempts hit and miss at best. I've also had several other projects around the house that needed my attention, so quite simply; this year has been a jumble of efforts.
However, the main distraction I've had has been the building of "Birchwood" — my new bike workshop. I've wanted/needed one for years and for my 61st birthday (yikes, that's hard to read!), Melanie gave me this one and I couldn't be happier. You can read more about the build here: ► Check it out!
To start this issue's Features I've got a report on several rather lengthy rambles I made up to Brynmawr and around Blaenavon as I planned a new route for my Routes to Ride section; Blaenavon Ramble [ Explore ]. Then I've got a totally new route for or my Routes to Ride; Fochriw Highlands. It's short and sweet, and I think you'll like it!
In my Departments, you'll find a couple of quick links to Rides to Remember and Routes to Ride... standard fare that are slowly getting updated for the new layout.
On the Web you'll find one fast video and one slow — the differences are astounding and each are quite interesting in their own unique way.
And of course I've found another lovely steed to gaze upon in my Sexy Bike Alert.
I hope you enjoy my ramblings and thanks for stopping by,
Seeya down the road! - cm
To start this issue's Features I've got a report on several rather lengthy rambles I made up to Brynmawr and around Blaenavon as I planned a new route for my Routes to Ride section; Blaenavon Ramble [ Explore ]. Then I've got a totally new route for or my Routes to Ride; Fochriw Highlands. It's short and sweet, and I think you'll like it!
In my Departments, you'll find a couple of quick links to Rides to Remember and Routes to Ride... standard fare that are slowly getting updated for the new layout.
On the Web you'll find one fast video and one slow — the differences are astounding and each are quite interesting in their own unique way.
And of course I've found another lovely steed to gaze upon in my Sexy Bike Alert.
I hope you enjoy my ramblings and thanks for stopping by,
Seeya down the road! - cm
Features
Recent Rides - This ride report took me quite a while to assemble. Covering several days of exploring and hundreds of photos; it's a long read, but I'm quite happy with the results... and the route is awesome! ► Check it out!
Routes to Ride - Starting at Hengoed Train Station, this ride heads up the Rhymney and Darran Valleys before returning through Parc Taf Bargoed and Penalta Park for short but diverse circular route. ► Check it out!
Departments
I've gone back through all the rides I've written about over the past 10 years and picked a few of my favourites. ► View rides
I created this section of my blog whilst leading rides for Sustrans. My plan is to focus more on this going forward.► View rides
On the Web
YouTube - I discovered this channel a while ago and I it fascinating, but this particular story covers cycling to the extreme. ► Watch video
YouTube - This is video is simple, plain spoken, and fits the spirit of Rivendale bicyles and the folks who ride them perfectly. ► Watch video
Out From the Archive
2015 - A long time ago I worked with Sustrans and a small group of cycling enthusists to host a cycling event in Newport. We began our ride at Tredegar House and cycled out to the Wetlands Centre. ► Read more...
Sexy Bike Alert!
I missed this bike on my previous write-up on "8 Off-the-Peg Bicycles for 2021", so now that I've found her... I'll need to update my review. Meanwhile, you can see for yourself at Bikester.com
► Read more...




